Sausage, Fennel and Apple Stuffing
Give holiday stuffing a twist by using Hy-Vee Baking Stone Roasted Garlic Sourdough Bread for the base. Toast the bread cubes and pine nuts until golden brown, and store them up to one day before making the stuffing.
Servings and Ingredients
|1||(1 pound) loaf Hy-Vee Baking Stone Roasted Garlic Sourdough Bread, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes (about 10 c.)|
|½ c.||pine nuts|
|½ lbs.||pork sausage|
|3 c.||chopped, cored fennel (reserve fronds for garnish)|
|1 ½ c.||chopped onions (3 medium)|
|1 c.||chopped, cored apple|
|6 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter|
|3 tbsp.||chopped fresh thyme|
|¾ tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|3||Hy-Vee large eggs, lightly beaten|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee chicken broth|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large baking pan, combine bread cubes and pine nuts. Toast for 15 to 20 minutes or until bread cubes are crisp and pine nuts are lightly browned, tossing once. Set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown, stirring occasionally. Drain. Remove from skillet; set aside. In the same skillet, cook fennel, onions and apples in hot butter over medium-high heat about 10 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in sausage, thyme and pepper.
- In a very large bowl, combine bread cube mixture and fennel mixture, tossing to combine. In a small bowl, combine eggs and broth. Drizzle over bread mixture and toss gently to combine.
- Spoon stuffing into prepared dish. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes more or until stuffing is heated through. If desired, garnish with fennel fronds.
300 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 16g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 480mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 33g
- Protein: 8g
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 15%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2014.