Cheesy Apple and Sausage Stuffing Pull-Apart Bread
The only way to describe this pull-apart bread is like a savory monkey bread, stuffed with all your favorite foods.
Servings and Ingredients
|3 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 ¼ tbsp. Hy-Vee salt, divided|
|1 c. Hy-Vee 2% milk, warmed|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 (1/4 oz) pkg active dry yeast|
|3 tbsp. olive oil, divided|
|2 (about 4 oz each) mild Italian sausages, casings removed and crumbled|
|1 onion, finely chopped|
|1 stalk celery, finely chopped|
|1 apple, cored and finely chopped|
|2 tbsp. chopped fresh sage|
|¼ tsp. freshly ground Hy-Vee black pepper|
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee butter, melted|
|3 clove(s) garlic, minced|
|2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley|
|1 c. shredded aged Cheddar cheese|
- Combine flour with 1 teaspoon salt; set aside. In large bowl, stir warm milk with sugar; stir in yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until starting to foam; stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Stir in flour and salt mixture until shaggy dough starts to form.
- Transfer to lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic; transfer to oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
- To make stuffing, in skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat; cook sausage for 5 to 8 minutes or until cooked through. Add onion, celery, apple, sage, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Let cool completely.
- To assemble, grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to a 20-by-10-inch rectangle. Stir together melted butter, garlic and parsley; set 2 tablespoons aside. Brush remaining butter mixture over dough; sprinkle stuffing and Cheddar cheese on top. Cut dough lengthwise into 4 strips and crosswise into 3 strips to make 12 smaller rectangles; fold each rectangle into pockets to enclose stuffing. Place into loaf pan one by one, pressing together to fit all pockets. Brush reserved butter mixture over top; cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place loaf pan on foil-lined baking sheet; bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until bread is golden brown. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and serve warm.
- Tip: Use hot Italian sausage for a spicy kick.
290 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 15g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 430mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 9g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 4%