Fennel and Bacon Stuffing
Smoked bacon and Italian sausage make a hearty contribution to a stuffing based on cubes of French baguette. Chopped fresh fennel and white wine add layers of flavor.
Servings and Ingredients
|10||slices applewood-smoked bacon, coarsely chopped|
|1||large onion, chopped|
|3||garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|8 oz.||mild or spicy Italian sausages, casings removed|
|2 tbsp.||chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley|
|1 tbsp.||chopped fresh thyme|
|2||fennel bulbs, medium diced|
|¼ c.||dry white wine|
|½ c.||butter, diced|
|¾ c.||turkey broth or chicken broth|
|1||(16 ounce) French baguette, bottom crust trimmed, bread cut into 3/4-inch cubes|
|kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|2||large eggs, well beaten|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fry bacon in large heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings remaining in pan.
- Add onions to same pan and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add sausages, parsley and thyme and cook until sausage browns, about 4 minutes.
- Add fennel and cook until tender and pale golden, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in cooked bacon. Add wine and bring to a simmer. Add butter and cook until butter melts. Remove from heat and stir in broth.
- Place bread cubes in very large bowl. Add sausage mixture and toss to coat. Season stuffing to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in eggs.
- Transfer stuffing to a 3-quart baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover stuffing and bake until golden brown on top, about 15 minutes.
400 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 21g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- Sodium: 810mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 13g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 25%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2011.