Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
Get the best flavor by toasting the flakes until golden brown. Their pleasant crunch and nutty flavor make this frozen treat irresistible.
Servings and Ingredients
|3 (13.5 oz each) cans unsweetened coconut milk, chilled|
|2 c. Baker's sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided|
|½ c. agave nectar|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|Pineapple wedges, for serving|
|Coconut shell, for serving*|
Things To Grab
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, 1 cup shredded coconut and agave nectar. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl and discard solids. Stir in vanilla and salt. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Pour chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Cover and freeze until firm.
- If desired, serve ice cream with pineapple wedges.
- *Note: To crack a coconut, use the back of a chef's knife to tap along the equator of the coconut. When it cracks, pry it open a bit and drain the coconut milk into a bowl. Continue to tap until the coconut splits open.
310 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 14g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 180mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 44g
- Protein: 0g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Health 2016.