The Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie
This rich custard pie is noted for its billowy meringue. Reducing the oven temperature before baking the meringue results in the best-looking, most evenly baked meringue.
Servings and Ingredients
|⅓ c. plus 1 c. Hy-Vee sweetened flaked coconut|
|1 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|2 tsp. plus 3/4 c. plus 1/2 c. Hy-Vee sugar|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee shortening|
|3 or 4 tbsp ice water|
|6 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|2 ½ c. Hy-Vee half-and-half|
|3 tbsp. cream of coconut|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter|
|3 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract, divided|
|¾ tsp. cream of tartar|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread 1/3 cup coconut on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once. Cool.
- For crust, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, 2 teaspoons sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a circle, about 12 inches in diameter. Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry even with pan rim; prick bottom and sides with a fork.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven to 325 degrees.
- For filling, separate eggs, placing 6 whites in a medium bowl and 4 yolks in another medium bowl; reserve remaining yolks for another use.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in half-and-half. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Lightly beat egg yolks with a fork. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into yolks. Add yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1 cup coconut, cream of coconut, butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Keep filling warm.
- For meringue, add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed about 5 minutes or until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks and sugar dissolves.
- Pour filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue over warm filling; seal to edge. Sprinkle toasted coconut over top.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for 3 to 6 hours before serving; cover for longer storage.
550 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 28g
- Cholesterol: 170mg
- Sodium: 320mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 66g
- Protein: 9g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 2%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016.