The Ultimate Pie Pastry
Servings and Ingredients
|4 tbsp.||vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|8 tbsp.||cold Hy-Vee unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|2 c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|4 tsp.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|3 to 4 tsp ice water|
Things To Grab
- Chill cut-up shortening and butter in freezer 5 minutes. In a food processor (or medium bowl) combine flour, sugar and salt. Scatter shortening over flour mixture. Pulse in a food processor about 10 times (or cut in with a pastry blender) to evenly coat flour particles with shortening. Mixture should resemble cornmeal in texture.
- Scatter chilled butter pieces over the mixture. Pulse about 10 times (or cut in with pastry blender) to make coarse crumbles with some pea-size pieces that will produce steam when they melt, resulting in a flaky crust.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until 3 tablespoons are added, and 1 teaspoon at a time after that, pulsing 3 times (or tossing with a fork) after each addition until dough starts to clump together. Do not continue mixing until dough forms a ball. Overworking toughens dough.
- Gather dough into a ball and fold over on itself 3 times to blend ingredients. Flecks of butter should still be visible. Divide in half and shape into 4-inch discs. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Dust countertop and rolling pin with flour. Roll out each disc from center to edges into a 12-inch round. Using spatula to release pastry from surface, rotate and re-flour surface to prevent sticking. Transfer to pie plate. Ease into plate without stretching; trim even with plate. Fill with desired filling.
- Place top crust over filling. Trim pastry 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry and pinch to seal. Cut slits in pastry; crimp edges. If desired, brush with milk and sprinkle with a teaspoon of sugar before baking.
- To bake, arrange oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place pie on baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees. Cover edges of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning. Bake 30 to 35 minutes more or until golden.