Zesty Ice Cream Pie
This sweet and tart, light and creamy pie contains a double dose of lemon. Baking the cookie crumb crust makes it firm and crunchy.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 tbsp.||lemon zest|
|½ c.||fresh lemon juice|
|1 c.||plus 2 tbsp Hy-Vee granulated sugar, divided|
|3||Hy-Vee large eggs|
|2 c.||Hy-Vee half-and-half, divided|
|6 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter|
|1 ½ c.||finely crushed Hy-Vee vanilla wafers (about 50)|
|½ c.||ground Hy-Vee almonds (about 4 oz whole almonds)|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract, divided|
|1 c.||whipping cream|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
- For ice cream, in a medium saucepan, whisk together lemon zest and juice, 1 cup sugar and eggs. Whisk in 1 cup half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until custard coats the back of the spoon. (To check the custard for doneness, swipe a finger across the back of the spoon. When the custard is done, the line made by your finger will remain without the custard running back together.)
- Transfer custard to a medium bowl placed in a larger bowl of ice water. Stir custard until cooled. Stir in remaining half-and-half and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- For crust, melt butter; stir in remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Add cookie crumbs and almonds; toss to mix. Spread in prepared pie plate; press evenly onto bottom and sides. Bake for 5 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Prepare ice cream using chilled custard mixture in a 1-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Spoon ice cream mixture into prepared pie shell, spreading evenly. Cover and freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
- Remove pie from freezer and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting. Meanwhile, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Spread the whipped cream to edges of the crust. Serve immediately.
300 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 19g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Sodium: 75mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 4g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 6%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2014.