Coconut Cream Pie
Servings and Ingredients
|Pastry for a single pie crust|
|4||Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 ¼ c.||Hy-Vee granulated sugar, divided|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|3 c.||Hy-Vee skim milk|
|1 ¼ c.||Hy-Vee coconut, divided|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter|
|2 ½ tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract, divided|
|½ tsp.||cream of tartar|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare Pie Crust recipe, baking the crust. Separate egg yolks from whites; set aside whites for meringue.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Lightly beat egg yolks with fork. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot filling mixture into the yolks. Pour egg yolk mixture into hot filling. Return to heat and cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, butter and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Keep filling warm.
- For meringue, combine egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff glossy peaks.
- Pour warm filling into baked pie shell. Spread meringue over warm filling; seal meringue to edge of crust. Top with remaining 1/4 cup coconut.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Chill 3 to 6 hours before serving.
420 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 16g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- Sodium: 190mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 58g
- Protein: 9g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Comfort Foods Cookbook.