Caramel-Banana Ice Cream Sundaes
Use the ripest fruit for the richest banana flavor in this irresistible ice cream.
Servings and Ingredients
|4 Hy-Vee large egg yolks|
|¾ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee whole milk|
|2 c. whipping cream, divided|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|2 medium ripe bananas, peeled|
|1 tsp. lime juice|
|½ c. chopped Hy-Vee pecans, toasted*|
|¾ c. packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|⅓ c. pure maple syrup|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee butter|
|Ripe mini bananas and additional toasted pecans, for serving|
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer on high about 5 minutes or until thickened and lemon-colored. Stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups of the whipping cream.
- Transfer to a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until custard coats the back of the spoon. (To check custard for doneness, swipe a finger across the back of the spoon. When custard is done, the line of your finger will remain without the custard running back together.) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Set saucepan in another pan filled with ice water and stir custard until cooled. Transfer custard to airtight container and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Place medium bananas and lime juice in food processor; cover and process until smooth. Pour banana puree into custard and gently stir until mixed.
- Freeze in a 1 1/2-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Add 1/2 cup pecans about 5 minutes before ice cream is done. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container. Cover and freeze for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile for caramel sauce, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, maple syrup and butter. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Boil gently, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Carefully stir in remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream and return mixture to a boil. Boil gently, uncovered, 10 minutes more. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- After ice cream freezes for 1 hour, swirl in 1/2 cup of the caramel sauce, reserving remaining for topping. Return ice cream to freezer and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve ice cream with baby bananas and additional toasted pecans; top with reserved caramel sauce.
- *Note: Toast pecans in a skillet over medium heat stirring constantly until golden and brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
570 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 37g
- Cholesterol: 195mg
- Sodium: 55mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 60g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin C 6%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2014.