Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Enhance the flavor of this beloved side dish by adding flavorful stir-ins after you add cream or milk.
Chef's Tip: Could use heavy cream instead of milk for richer potatoes. You can also use sharp cheddar cheese in place of asiago.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 lbs.||(4 large or 3 medium) potatoes, peeled if desired and chopped*|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee butter, melted|
|¾ tsp.||kosher salt|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|½ c.||cream or Hy-Vee milk, heated|
|Melted butter, optional|
- In a large saucepan, cook potatoes in lightly salted boiling water, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Mash with a potato masher or ricer, or beat with an electric mixer on low. Add butter, salt and pepper. Gradually beat in hot cream until potatoes are light and fluffy. Serve with melted butter, if desired.
- Cheese: Stir in 1 cup or 4 ounces shredded or softened cheese, such as smoked cheddar, Gouda, or goat cheese.
- Herbs: Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, rosemary, sage or thyme.
- Pesto: Stir 2 tablespoons prepared pesto into mashed potatoes.
- Root vegetables: Add cooked carrots, turnips, rutabagas or parsnips to the potatoes.
- Roasted garlic: Cut off top 1/2 inch of a garlic bulb to expose the ends of the individual cloves. Leaving garlic bulb whole, remove any loose papery outer layers. Place bulb, cut end up, in a custard cup or on a double thickness of foil. Drizzle bulb with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast in a 400-degree oven for 25 minutes or until garlic feels soft when squeezed. Cool slightly and squeeze out flesh. Add to mashed potatoes.
310 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 18g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Sodium: 310mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 34g
- Protein: 4g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 15%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2015.