Servings and Ingredients
|3 c.||all-purpose flour, divided|
|¼ c.||flax seed|
|1 tbsp.||fast-rising instant yeast|
|¼ c.||ground mustard|
|1 ½ c.||diced cooked ham|
|1 c.||shredded Swiss cheese|
|½ c.||diced dill pickles|
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour with sugar, salt, flax seed and yeast.
- In a saucepan, heat water, dry mustard and margarine until hot to the touch (125 to 130 degrees). Stir into flour mixture. Add enough of the reserved flour to make a soft non-sticky dough. Knead for 4 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 14-by-12-inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle ham, cheese and pickles down the center of the dough.
- Make cuts out from the filling to the edge of the dough at 1-inch intervals with a knife.
- Bring strips together and overlap them in a braid-like design over the center, encasing the filling in the dough.
- Let rest in a warm, draft-free place for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- If desired, brush the top of the dough with 1 beaten egg.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden.
211 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Sodium: 390mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 25g
- Protein: 11g
"Family Favourites Flax" cookbook