Double Chocolate Cake
Quit drooling and preheat the oven... good and chocolatey things are in your near future.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee baking soda|
|½ c. buttermilk, divided|
|⅔ c. Hy-Vee baking cocoa|
|2 c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|½ c. Hy-Vee butter, softened|
|2 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla|
|2 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour, divided|
|1 c. boiling water|
|Chocolate Buttercream Frosting|
|2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate|
|3 c. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|3 tbsp. Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 c. Hy-Vee butter, melted|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
Things To Grab
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray on bottom and coat with flour; set aside.
- Whisk baking soda into buttermilk; allow to sit a few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cocoa and sugar. Add butter, beating with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, stir well. Add half the flour; stir. Add half the buttermilk mixture, stir. Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk mixture. Batter will be very thick. Pour in boiling water and stir by hand until mixture is smooth.
- Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and allow cakes to cool completely. Frost cooled cakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and decorate with shards of chocolate, if desired.
- To make chocolate buttercream frosting, in a microwave-safe bowl melt chocolate in the microwave on HIGH power for 1 minute. Stir mixture until smooth; allow to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl sift together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Beat in melted butter until smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in cooled melted chocolate and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
440 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 20g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Sodium: 100mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 64g
- Protein: 4g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2012.