“Bread” made from cauliflower effectively cuts calories and carbs compared to most bread made from flour. This veggie bread starts with cauliflower whirled in a food processor until the consistency is like rice.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 small head cauliflower, cut into large chunks|
|1 Hy-Vee large egg|
|2 oz. Manchego or aged white cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/4 c.)|
|Hy-Vee sea salt, to taste|
|2 oz. Gouda cheese, shredded (about 1/4 c.)|
|½ c. baby arugula|
|2 oz. Hy-Vee cheddar cheese, thinly sliced|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place cauliflower in food processor. Cover and process until fine rice-like consistency.
- Transfer cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes or until soft.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, Manchego cheese and season with sea salt. Stir in cooked cauliflower, combining well.
- Place four portions of cauliflower mixture on prepared baking pan. Shape each portion into a 4-by-4-inch square, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until firm in center and light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Spray one side of two slices of cauliflower with nonstick cooking spray; place, coated side down, on waxed paper. Top with shredded Gouda, followed by arugula and cheddar cheese. Top sandwiches with remaining cauliflower slices. Spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook sandwiches over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until cauliflower is lightly toasted and cheese is melted, turning once halfway through.
420 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 28g
- Cholesterol: 175mg
- Sodium: 690mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 16g
- Protein: 30g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 240%
Hy-Vee Seasons Spring 2016.