Cauliflower and White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
Cooked and pureed cauliflower adds creamy deliciousness to mac and cheese. And when you pair the nutrient-rich sauce with whole-grain pasta, you can feel extra good about this comfort food.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 slice(s)||turkey bacon|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter, divided|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee panko crumbs|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee finely shredded Parmesan cheese|
|3 c.||whole-grain medium shell or elbow macaroni , about 16 oz|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|3 c.||fresh cauliflower florets|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee chicken broth|
|⅛ c.||cayenne pepper|
|1 c.||shredded aged white cheddar cheese|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee skim milk|
|Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish|
|Hy-Vee salt , to taste|
|Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
Things To Grab
- Medium skillet
- Large pot
- 3-quart saucepan with lid
- Food processor
- 2-cup ramekins or casserole dishes
- For topping, in a medium skillet cook bacon over medium heat for 7 to 9 minutes or until brown. Remove bacon from skillet; crumble and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon butter to skillet; heat until melted. Stir in panko, Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon; set aside.
- Preheat broiler. In a large pot, cook pasta in boiling salted according to package directions. Drain; do not rinse.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-quart saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Cook garlic in butter until softened. Add cauliflower, broth and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Transfer mixture to a food processor. Cover and process until smooth.
- Transfer pureed mixture back to same saucepan. Stir in cheddar cheese and milk. Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted. Stir in hot cooked pasta. Spoon mixture into 2-cup ramekins or casserole dishes. Sprinkle with prepared topping. Broil 2 to 3 minutes or until crumbs are golden. If desired, garnish with parsley. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
340 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Sodium: 390mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 46g
- Protein: 16g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 45%
Hy-Vee Seasons Health 2015.