Apple and White Cheddar Turnovers
For anyone who hasn't tried apples and cheddar together in a baked good, prepare to be changed for life.
Servings and Ingredients
|2||medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, halved, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|1 ½ c.||(loosely packed) coarsely grated white cheddar cheese|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee Select pure maple syrup|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee English walnut pieces|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee dried cranberries|
|Pinch of Hy-Vee salt|
|1||(17.3 oz) pkg frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed|
|1||Hy-Vee large egg, beaten with 1 tsp water to blend, for glaze|
- Toss apples, cheese, syrup, walnuts, cranberries and salt in medium bowl to blend. Cover and chill, up to 2 hours.
- Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 400 degrees. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment; set aside.
- Roll out 1 puff pastry sheet on lightly floured surface to 11-inch square. Using 5- to 5-1/2-inch plate or bowl as template, cut out 4 rounds from pastry. Transfer pastry rounds to 1 baking sheet, spacing apart. Repeat with second pastry sheet, placing rounds on second baking sheet.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup filling into half of each pastry round, dividing all of filling among rounds. Brush edges of pastry lightly with some of egg glaze. Fold the plain-pastry half over filling; press on edges to seal and enclose filling completely, then press tines of fork along pastry edge to create tight seal. Using tip of small sharp knife, cut two ½-inch long slits in top of crust on each turnover. Brush tops with egg glaze, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake turnovers until crusts are puffed and golden and juices are bubbling through slits in crusts, about 15 to 18 minutes. Carefully run metal spatula under turnovers to loosen and transfer to racks to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
220 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Sodium: 200mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 21g
- Protein: 7g
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 4%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2010.