Upside-Down Caramel-Apple Muffins
Apples sautéed in butter and brown sugar caramelize beautifully as they bake beneath an applesauce-enriched muffin batter. As a result, the sugary fruit becomes a glistening crown.
Servings and Ingredients
|3||baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced|
|1 c.||packed Hy-Vee dark brown sugar, divided|
|½ c.||plus 3/4 c. Hy-Vee butter, divided|
|dash(es)||plus 1/8 tsp Hy-Vee salt, divided|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee chopped walnuts, toasted|
|1 ½ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee baking powder|
|¾ tsp.||apple pie spice|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|¾ c.||Homemade Applesauce or Hy-Vee apple sauce|
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee buttermilk|
|1||Hy-Vee large egg, lightly beaten|
|¾ tsp.||Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
Things To Grab
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously grease a 12-cup muffin pan; set aside.
- In a large skillet, stir together apples, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter and dash salt. Cook over medium-high heat for 30 minutes or until sauce is syrupy consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in walnuts. Divide among prepared muffin cups; set aside.
- Meanwhile, for muffins, in a large bowl whisk together flour, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, baking powder, apple pie spice, baking soda and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Make a well in center; set aside.
- Place remaining 3/4 cup butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute or until butter is melted. Stir in applesauce, buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon batter over apple mixture in muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Slice a knife along edges of muffin cups. Invert muffin pan onto a serving platter.
360 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 23g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Sodium: 115mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 37g
- Protein: 3g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 4%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2015.