Sponge Cake or Banana-Nut Cake
Servings and Ingredients
|9 large eggs|
|1 ¼ c. sugar|
|1 c. potato starch|
|juice of 1 orange|
|juice of 1 lemon|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Using 2 large mixing bowls, separate 7 of the 9 eggs. Yolks in 1 bowl, whites in the other.
- Into the bowl with the egg yolks, add the 2 remaining whole eggs. Beat until foamy. Gradually add the sugar. Beat until light and lemon-colored. Add potato starch alternately with the juice of the orange and the juice of the lemon.
- With an electric mixer and clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff and dry.
- Carefully fold the yolk mixture into the stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes (70 minutes total).
- Invert tube pan. Cool for at least 1 hour.
- Banana-Nut Cake Variation: Omit orange juice. Increase lemon juice to the juice of 2 lemons. Add 2 mashed ripe bananas and 1/2 cup chopped nuts to batter.