Spice up your classic burger with jalapenos and top with a crunchy onion ring!
Servings and Ingredients
|Hy-Vee vegetable oil, as needed|
|2 c. Hy-Vee panko bread crumbs|
|½ c. Hy-Vee skim milk|
|1 Hy-Vee large egg|
|1 yellow onion, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rings|
|1 lbs. 80%-lean ground beef|
|Hy-Vee salt and Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
|4 slice(s) Hy-Vee American cheese|
|8 leaves Bibb lettuce|
|2 jalapeno peppers, sliced|
|Hy-Vee barbecue sauce, for serving|
- In a deep fryer or large heavy saucepan suitable for deep-frying, heat oil to 350 degrees. Follow instructions for quantity of oil for deep fryer. For heavy saucepan, fill with at least 2 inches of oil.
- Place panko in a medium bowl. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Working in batches, toss onion rings into egg mixture, then in panko, coating evenly on all sides. Repeat with remaining onion rings. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, setting on paper towels to drain; set aside and keep warm.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
- Shape ground beef into 4 patties and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill patties on a well-greased rack for 12 to 14 minutes or until internal temperature of patties reaches 160 degrees, turning once halfway through. During last 2 minutes of grilling, top with cheese.
- To serve, place Bibb lettuce on bottom hamburger bun and top with cheeseburger, jalapeno slices, prepared onion rings, barbecue sauce and top bun.
Croatian by ancestry, Zinfandel rose to acclaim in the vineyards of California where this medium-bodied wine thrives in the hot vineyards of Mendocino, Amador, and Napa counties. It offers aromas and flavors of raspberry, blackberry, black cherry, raisin, and prune. Pair with roasted vegetables, smoked meats, cured meats, barbecue, and cheeses like asiago, goat cheese, gouda, and gruyere.
From the week of April 6, 2016.