Southwestern Stuffed Flank Steak
Transform this affordable cut into an eye-catching meal with the addition of a simple seasoning rub and cornbread stuffing mix doctored up with green chiles.
Servings and Ingredients
|1||(2- to 2 1/2-pound) flank steak|
|1||(6 ounce) box Hy-Vee cornbread stuffing mix|
|1||(7 ounce) can Hy-Vee diced mild green chiles|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|Hy-Vee Tex-Mex chipotle seasoning (in an adjustable grinder), as desired|
|Hy-Vee Select roasted salsa verde, optional|
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- To butterfly flank steak, make a lengthwise cut horizontally through steak, cutting to within ½ inch of opposite side. Spread open; cover with plastic wrap. Working from the center to the edges, pound steak with flat side of meat mallet to even thickness. Remove plastic wrap; set aside.
- Prepare stuffing according to package directions. Stir in green chiles. Spread over steak. Roll up meat so grain runs lengthwise. Tie in several places with 100-percent-cotton heavy kitchen string. Brush with oil and season with chipotle seasoning.
- Transfer steak to a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes for medium-rare (135°F) and about 45 minutes for medium (150°F). Transfer roast to a serving platter; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand for 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium-rare or 160°F for medium.)
- Remove the strings; slice steak and serve with salsa verde, if desired.
400 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 660mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 22g
- Protein: 35g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 20%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016