Flank Steak and Potato Salad
Here's a fresh take on salad for steak lovers. Marinade tenderizes this economical cut of beef. Pair this tender steak with a Saison or White Blend.
Servings and Ingredients
|½ c.||aged white wine vinegar|
|¼ c.||chopped shallot|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil, divided|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee honey|
|2 tbsp.||chopped fresh basil|
|1 tbsp.||chopped fresh thyme|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
|2 clove(s)||garlic, minced|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|1 ¼ lbs.||beef flank steak, about 1-inch thick|
|1 lbs.||small potatoes|
|2||yellow bell peppers, cut into quarters|
|1 bunch(es)||green onions, trimmed|
|4 c.||baby romaine salad greens|
- For herbed vinaigrette, in a blender or food processor combine vinegar, shallot, 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, basil, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and black pepper. Cover and blend until combined. Divide into two portions; set aside.
- Trim fat from steak. Score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Place steak in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour 1 portion of vinaigrette over steak; set remaining vinaigrette aside. Seal bag; turn to coat steak. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave potatoes on HIGH for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly tender. Cut potatoes in half; lightly toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Thread potatoes onto skewers*. Lightly toss bell pepper and onions with remaining olive oil; thread onto skewers.*
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Grill steak until desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling, discarding marinade. Allow 12 to 15 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees) to medium (160 degrees). Add potatoes and bell pepper to grill during the last 8 minutes of grilling and green onions the last 4 minutes, turning frequently.
- Thinly slice steak against the grain. Coarsely chop bell peppers and slice onions. To serve, arrange mixed greens, steak and grilled vegetables on four dinner plates. Drizzle with reserved portion of vinaigrette.
- *Note: If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before grilling.
470 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 23g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 730mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 36g
- Protein: 34g
Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 210%
Hy-Vee Seasons Spring 2015.