Generous marbling makes this special-occasion beef roast a decadent centerpiece. Roasting the meat at high heat briefly and then finishing it on low creates a magnificent mouthwatering crust.
Watch how this recipe comes together on HSTV.com
Servings and Ingredients
|1 (5-lbs.) bone-in beef rib roast|
|2 tbsp. Gustare Vita olive oil|
|Hy-Vee ground black pepper|
|1 (750 ml) bottle zinfandel, or other fruity dry red wine, divided|
|3 tbsp. Hy-Vee honey|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee unsalted butter|
|Red Wine au Jus|
|2 tbsp. roast drippings|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|½ c. shallots, thinly sliced|
|2 c. Hy-Vee beef stock|
|1 sprig(s) fresh sage|
Things To Grab
- Shallow roasting pan with rack
- Oven-proof meat thermometer
- Medium saucepan
- Carving board
- Aluminum foil
- Rub roast with oil; season with salt and pepper. Place roast, bone-side down, in a shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. For glaze, in a medium saucepan boil 2 cups zinfandel for 15 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup. Stir in honey and butter. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 more minutes or until mixture coats the back of a spoon; set aside.
- Roast rib roast for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours more for medium-rare (135 degrees) to medium (145 degrees). Baste with glaze every 10 minutes after roast reaches 100 degrees.
Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10 degrees to reach 130 degrees for medium-rare or 140 degrees for medium.)
While roast is standing, prepare Red Wine au Jus: Heat 2 tablespoons drippings in roasting pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Add shallots and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Whisk in remaining zinfandel, beef stock, and fresh sage sprig. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Carve roast and serve with au Jus.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 67g
- Cholesterol: 195mg
- Sodium: 290mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 13g
- Protein: 51g