Napa Prime Rib
Generous marbling makes this special-occasion beef roast a decadent centerpiece. Roasting the meat at high heat briefly and then finishing it on low creates a magnificent mouthwatering crust.
Servings and Ingredients
|1||(5 pound) bone-in beef rib roast*|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|Hy-Vee kosher salt and Hy-Vee ground black pepper, to taste|
|1||(750 ml) bottle zinfandel or other fruity dry red wine, divided|
|3 tbsp.||Hy-Vee honey|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter|
|1 recipe Red Wine au Jus|
- Rub roast with oil; season with salt and pepper. Place roast, bone-side down, in a shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. For glaze, in a medium saucepan boil 2 cups zinfandel for 15 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup. Stir in honey and butter. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 more minutes or until mixture coats the back of a spoon; set aside.
- Roast rib roast for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours more for medium-rare (135 degrees) to medium (145 degrees). Baste with glaze every 10 minutes after roast reaches 100 degrees.
- Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10 degrees to reach 145 degrees for medium-rare or 160 degrees for medium.)
- While roast is standing, prepare Red Wine au Jus. Carve roast and serve with au Jus.
- *Note: For easier carving, ask a butcher in the Hy-Vee meat department to cut the bones away from the roast and tie them back on with kitchen string. To serve, remove twine and bones before slicing.
- Red Wine au Jus: Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from roasting pan. Heat drippings in roasting pan over medium heat. Whisk in 2 tablespoons Hy-Vee all-purpose flour. Add 1/2 cup sliced shallots and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Whisk in remaining zinfandel, 2 cups Hy-Vee beef stock and 1 sprig sage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes. Season to taste with Hy-Vee kosher salt and Hy-Vee ground black pepper.
940 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 67g
- Cholesterol: 195mg
- Sodium: 290mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 13g
- Protein: 51g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 2%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016