For a regal holiday centerpiece, prime rib makes a succulent choice with its rich flavor and delicate brown crust. For all its glory, this roast is actually easy to prepare. The trick is to apply a savory coating and, for the most even oven cooking, use a gentle heat.
Servings and Ingredients
|1||medium onion, roughly chopped|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee panko bread crumbs|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee grated Parmesan cheese|
|¼ c.||prepared horseradish|
|5 clove(s)||garlic, chopped|
|3 tbsp.||chopped fresh rosemary|
|2 tbsp.||chopped fresh thyme|
|2 tbsp.||kosher salt|
|2 tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|1 to 2 tbsp Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|1||(5 pound) beef rib roast, bones cut off and tied back on|
|Beef Pan Gravy:|
|¼ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|4 c.||Hy-Vee reduced-sodium beef broth|
- For the crust, in a food processor combine onion, panko, Parmesan cheese, horseradish, garlic, rosemary, chopped thyme, salt and pepper. While processor is running, slowly add enough oil to create a thick paste.
- Pat the paste all over the roast. Place roast, bone-side down, on a wire rack in a roasting pan. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook roast for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and roast for 60 to 90 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the roast reaches 135 degrees for rare or 150 degrees for medium rare.
- If necessary, cover the roast loosely with foil to prevent the crust from overbrowning. Remove roast from oven and let rest, loosely covered, for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing. Meat will continue to cook as it rests.
- Beef Pan Gravy
- Transfer roasted meat to a cutting board with juice grooves. Pour pan drippings into a 2-cup glass measure. Remove 1/4 cup fat from the drippings, and return to pan. Discard remaining fat and return remaining drippings to pan.
- Whisk in flour, combining thoroughly. Whisk in beef broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Add bay leaf and thyme sprig, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Before serving, remove and discard bay leaf and thyme sprig.
500 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 42g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Sodium: 1110mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 3g
- Protein: 26g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 4%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2015.