Planked BBQ Bacon Meat Loaf
Glazed with sweet BBQ sauce, this bacon-wrapped meat is a smoky special occasion treat. Pair this dish with a Bock or Shiraz wine to impress your guests.
Servings and Ingredients
|2||Hy-Vee large eggs|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee 2% milk|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
|2 tsp.||hot sauce, if desired|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee plain bread crumbs|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|1||medium onion, finely chopped|
|3 clove(s)||garlic, minced|
|1 ½ lbs.||90%-lean ground sirloin|
|1 lbs.||ground pork|
|1 c.||grated carrot (about 1 medium)|
|2 tbsp.||chopped fresh thyme|
|1 tsp.||Hy-Vee sea salt|
|1||cedar plank (do not soak)|
|12 slice(s)||Hy-Vee bacon|
|1 ⅓ c.||Hy-Vee barbecue sauce|
|⅔ c.||Hy-Vee ketchup|
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce and, if desired, hot sauce. Stir in bread crumbs; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened, stirring often. In a large bowl, combine ground sirloin, pork, carrot, thyme, salt and cooked onion mixture; mix well. Cover and refrigerate while preparing grill.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for indirect cooking over medium-high heat. Add plank to grill and toast about 5 minutes, turning once. Cool.
- Place plank on work surface. Arrange bacon slices horizontally across plank so they touch but do not overlap. Mound meat loaf mixture on bacon-lined plank; form into a loaf shape about 4 inches wide and 12 inches long. Bring ends of bacon up and over the loaf, overlapping the strips. Secure ends with wooden toothpicks.
- Place plank and loaf on grill rack over direct heat and grill for 5 minutes or until plank begins to smoke. Place plank and loaf over indirect heat and grill for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine barbecue sauce and ketchup. Reserve half of the sauce for serving. Place remaining sauce in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until heated through. Brush an even layer over meat loaf. Continue brushing with sauce every 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees (about 1 hour).
- Remove meat loaf from the grill. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Heat reserved sauce. Cut loaf into slices and serve with sauce.
420 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 20g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- Sodium: 1220mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 28g
Vitamin A 40%
Vitamin C 8%
Hy-Vee Seasons Spring 2016.