His mother's meat loaf was always Doug McDermott's favorite meat. "The sauce makes it," he says. "It's very sweet and has a great kick to it. I've learned to make it myself and, if I can make it, anybody can do it."
Servings and Ingredients
|2||Hy-Vee large eggs, lightly beaten|
|⅓ c.||plus 6 tbsp Hy-Vee ketchup, divided|
|¾ c.||Hy-Vee quick-cooking oats|
|½ c.||finely chopped onion|
|¼ c.||finely chopped green bell pepper|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee black pepper|
|1 ½ lbs.||lean ground beef|
|2 tbsp.||packed Hy-Vee brown sugar|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Worcestershire sauce|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 3-quart baking dish with foil.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and 1/3 cup ketchup. Stir in oats, onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper. Add ground beef; mix lightly. Lightly pat into a 9-by-5-inch loaf in prepared dish.
- For glaze, in a small bowl combine 6 tablespoons ketchup, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; set aside.
- Bake meat loaf for 1 hour or until internal temperature registers 160 degrees, spooning glaze over meat loaf for the last 25 minutes of baking.
- Let meat loaf stand 10 minutes before serving.
220 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 410mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 13g
- Protein: 15g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 6%
Hy-Vee Seasons Spring 2015.