Peach Melba Parfaits
Developed by a French chef more than 100 years ago, the Peach Melba is as timeless as it is delicious. Today, chefs around the world have their own versions, but we're partial to this one. It includes wine.
Servings and Ingredients
|4 firm ripe peaches|
|2 c. white wine|
|2 c. water|
|1 c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|1 large mint sprig|
|2 c. fresh raspberries|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee lemon juice|
|2 c. Hy-Vee vanilla ice cream|
|Whole fresh raspberries or mint sprigs, for garnish|
- Score the bottom of each peach with a paring knife, making an X on the bottom of each (this will help with peeling later). Combine wine, water, sugar, vanilla and mint sprig in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to boiling. Add peaches. Return mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Gently simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until skins are softened. Remove peaches from syrup and cool slightly.
- Return the peach cooking liquid to high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the mixture to 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Remove syrup from heat. Discard mint and set syrup aside.
- Peel the peaches and halve each peach, removing the seed. Cut each half into 4 slices. Place in a shallow bowl. Pour 1/2 cup of the reserved liquid over peaches and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Combine raspberries, 1/3 cup of the syrup, powdered sugar and lemon juice in a food processor. Cover and process until well pureed. Strain the raspberry mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Chill until serving time.
- To assemble parfaits, alternate layers of peach slices, raspberry sauce and vanilla ice cream. If desired, garnish with fresh raspberries and mint sprig. Serve immediately.
520 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 70mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 94g
- Protein: 4g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 45%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2012.