Holiday Honey-Spice Bars
Servings and Ingredients
|¾ c.||packed brown sugar|
|1 tbsp.||freshly grated orange peel|
|2 ¾ c.||all-purpose flour|
|1 tsp.||Spice Islands ground allspice|
|1 tsp.||Spice Islands ground cinnamon|
|1 tsp.||Spice Islands ground ginger|
|½ tsp.||baking soda|
|1 c.||slivered almonds, toasted|
|1 c.||dried apricot halves, snipped into quarters|
|1 c.||dried cranberries|
|1 c.||sifted powdered sugar|
|1 ½ tbsp.||orange juice plus an additional 1/2 tbsp, if needed|
- Line 13 x 9 inch baking pan with aluminum foil or baking parchment, allowing ends to extend 2 inches up sides of pan; coat with cooking spray.
- Using electric mixer, beat brown sugar and egg until smooth; mix in honey and orange peel.
- In small bowl, combine flour, spices, baking soda and salt; gradually add to honey mixture, mixing well. Stir in almonds, apricots and cranberries. (Mixture will be thick and sticky.)
- With oiled hands, pat batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 28 to 32 minutes or until light golden brown; cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar with enough orange juice to make a thin glaze. Holding edges of foil, lift out of pan to cutting surface. Spread glaze over top, reserving 1 tablespoon for decorating. If desired, let stand 15 to 20 minutes or until glaze is set. Cut into bars.