Herbed Holiday Bread
Bring back the feelings of holidays past. Nothing is better than the smell of bread baking, is there?
Servings and Ingredients
|4 ½ to 5 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour, divided|
|1 packet(s) active dry yeast|
|2 tbsp. snipped fresh herbs or 1 tsp dried herbs, crushed|
|1 c. Hy-Vee 2% milk|
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee unsalted butter|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|3 Hy-Vee large eggs, divided|
|1 tbsp. water|
|Fresh herbs, garnish|
- In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups flour, yeast and herbs; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk, sugar, butter and salt over medium heat until butter almost melts.
- Add milk mixture and 2 eggs to flour mixture. Beat with electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as possible.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic. Shape dough into a ball. Place in greased bowl; turn once to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Punch dough down and turn out onto a lightly-floured surface. Divide dough into three portions. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Shape each portion of dough into a round loaf. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush loaves with a mixture of egg and 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle fresh herbs on top of loaves. Cover and let rise until nearly double, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Brush tops again with egg mixture. Bake in a 375°F-oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.
150 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 125mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 24g
- Protein: 4g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2009.