Herb-Onion Batter Bread
Servings and Ingredients
|¼ c.||butter or margarine|
|1 c.||finely chopped onion|
|3 ¼ c.||flour|
|2 packet(s)||dry yeast|
|½ tsp.||ground sage|
|½ tsp.||crushed rosemary|
|¼ tsp.||ground thyme|
|1 ¼ c.||warm water|
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until golden. Cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup flour, yeast, sugar, salt, sage, rosemary and thyme. Fold in onions, scraping all butter into the bowl. Stir in egg and water.
- Stir at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Gradually stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
- Spoon batter into a greased 8-quart casserole dish. Cover and let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from casserole dish. Serve warm or cold.