Scotch Oatmeal Bread
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. quick oats, uncooked|
|¼ c. sugar|
|1 tbsp. salt|
|¼ c. shortening|
|3 tbsp. molasses|
|1 c. boiling water|
|1 packet(s) dry yeast|
|1 c. warm water|
|1 tsp. sugar|
|½ c. raisins|
|5 ½ c. flour, substitute part whole wheat flour, if desired|
- In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, sugar, salt, shortening, molasses and boiling water. Cool until warm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar. Stir in 1 cup flour. Stir into oatmeal mixture. Stir in remaining flour, 1 cup at a time. Knead 10 minutes. Knead in raisins.
- Let rise 1-1/2 hours; punch down. Let rise 15 minutes.
- Form into loaves and oil tops. Let rise one hour.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes.