Friendship Bread with Herman Starter
Servings and Ingredients
|1 tbsp. dry yeast|
|2 ½ c. lukewarm water|
|6 c. all-purpose flour, divided|
|1 ½ tsp. salt, divided|
|1 ½ c. plus 3 tbsp sugar, divided|
|1 ½ c. milk, divided|
|1 c. Herman Starter|
|1 c. oil|
|3 large eggs|
|1 tsp. vanilla|
|½ tsp. baking soda|
|1 ½ tsp. baking powder|
|1 (5.1 oz) pkg instant vanilla pudding mix|
|½ c. raisins, optional|
|½ c. nuts, optional|
|cinnamon and additional sugar|
- To make Herman starter, dissolve 1 tablespoon yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add rest of water, 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons sugar. Mix thoroughly in non-metal container. Cover loosely with waxed paper or cheesecloth and let sit for 5 to 10 days, until bubbly. Stir every morning using a wooden or plastic spoon.
- On the fifth day, give the Herman starter the first feeding. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour and 1 cup milk. Stir until smooth. Cover loosely. Count this as Day 1. Stir every morning.
- On the fifth day, give Herman a second feeding, using the same ingredients as the first feeding. Stir every morning.
- On the tenth day, Herman is ready to use. Use 2 cups Herman to bake with, give 1 cup (with this recipe) to a friend. Keep 1 cup as starter to continue with, and feed and continue as before, stirring and covering.
- Feed Herman every 5 days whether used for baking or not.
- To make friendship bread, stir together 1 cup Herman, oil, eggs, vanilla and milk. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda, baking powder, pudding mix, raisins and nuts.
- Pour into 2 large well-greased and sugared with cinnamon/sugar mixture loaf pans. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of batter before baking.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.