Whole Wheat Bread
Servings and Ingredients
|2 c. plus 2/3 cup. warm water|
|2 packet(s) dry yeast|
|1 tsp. plus 1/2 cup brown sugar|
|2 tbsp. shortening, softened|
|1 tsp. salt|
|2 c. whole wheat flour|
|4 c. white flour|
- In a small bowl, mix 2/3 cup warm water and yeast. Add 1 teaspoon brown sugar. Let stand until it bubbles and rises.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups warm water, shortening, 1/2 cup brown sugar, salt, whole wheat flour and 2 cups white flour forming a soft sponge dough.
- Cover. Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Add 2 more cups white flour. Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl. Cover. Let rise until doubled in size.
- Form into 2 loaves. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 50 minutes.