Make Pie Crust: In large bowl stir together flour and salt. Cut shortening in until pea size.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|⅔ c. Hy-Vee vegetable shortening|
|7 tbsp. ice cold water, divided|
|2 medium Fuji apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee lemon juice|
|½ c. Hy-Vee light brown sugar|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee ground cinnamon|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|3 c. sweet cherries, pitted|
|1 egg yolk|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee half-and-half|
Things To Grab
- 2 large bowls
- Pastry blender
- 9-inch pie plate
- Sharp knife
- Small bowl
- Silicone pastry brush
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over mixture and toss with a fork until moistened. Repeat with the remaining water 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture is moistened. Divide the dough in half and form each into a ball. Refrigerate dough until ready to use.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough ball into a 12-inch circle. Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim edges even with the rim of the pie plate.
Make Filling: In a large bowl toss apples with lemon juice and add sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and cherries. Add filling to prepared pie shell.
- Roll remaining dough into 12-inch circle. Cut dough into even strips, about 1/2-inch wide. Lay about 5 strips parallel to each other, leaving about ½ inch between strips, over pie filling. Weave remaining strips perpendicular to strips already on pie. Trim ends even with bottom crust. Fold back the bottom crust over the lattice strips and crimp to secure.
- Whisk together egg yolk and half-and-half; brush on top of the pie.
- Place pie on a cookie sheet and bake in 375-degree oven for 1 hour or until lightly golden brown.
400 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 18g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 230mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 55g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 10%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2011.