Prepare Remoulade Sauce: In a small bowl, stir together 1/3 cup Hy-Vee mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons Hy-Vee coarse ground mustard, 2 tablespoons hot chile sauce, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley, 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion, 1 tablespoon capers, 1 teaspoon paprika and 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish. Cover and let stand until serving time.
Beer-Battered Shrimp Po' Boys
Po’ boys are Louisiana-style sub sandwiches. This version features lightly battered shrimp and red pepper slices as well as a tantalizingly piquant sauce called a remoulade.
Servings and Ingredients
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee mayonnaise|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee course ground mustard|
|2 tbsp. hot chile sauce|
|2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice|
|1 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped|
|1 tbsp. green onion, finely chopped|
|1 tbsp. capers|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee paprika|
|1 tsp. prepared horseradish|
|4 Hy-Vee Bakery hoagie buns, split|
|1 tbsp. Gustare Vita olive oil|
|½ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|½ c. Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee baking powder|
|6 oz. pilsner beer, chilled|
|½ c. water|
|2 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee kosher salt|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee cayenne pepper|
|1 lbs. medium shrimp (26 to 30 count), in shells, peeled, deveined, thawed if frozen|
|1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips|
|Hy-Vee vegetable oil, for deep-fat frying|
|1 c. Hy-Vee shredded iceberg lettuce|
|1 medium tomato, thinly sliced|
Things To Grab
- Small bowl
- Silicone pastry brush
- Medium bowl
- Paper towels
- 3-quart saucepan or deep-fat fryer
- Oil thermometer
- Slotted spoon
- Preheat broiler. Brush cut sides of hoagie buns with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler for 1 minute or until golden. Set buns aside.
- For batter, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, beer, water, parsley, salt and cayenne pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. In a 3-quart saucepan or deep-fat fryer, heat 2 inches vegetable oil to 350 degrees. Working in batches, dip shrimp in batter and drop into the hot oil. Fry for 2 minutes or until golden, gently turning to ensure all sides are fried. Drain on paper towels. Dip bell pepper strips into batter and fry for 2 minutes or until golden, turning to ensure all sides are fried. Drain on paper towels.
- To assemble po' boys, spread 1 tablespoon Remoulade Sauce on bottoms of hoagie buns. Divide tomato slices and lettuce among buns; top with fried pepper strips and shrimp. If desired, drizzle with additional remoulade. Serve immediately.
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016