Po’ boys are Louisiana-style sub sandwiches. This version features lightly battered shrimp and red pepper slices as well as a tantalizingly piquant sauce called a remoulade.
Servings and Ingredients
|1||recipe Remoulade Sauce|
|4||hoagie buns, split|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking powder|
|6 oz.||pilsner beer, chilled*|
|2 tbsp.||finely chopped fresh parsley|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee kosher salt|
|¼ tsp.||cayenne pepper|
|1 lbs.||medium shrimp (26 to 30 count) in shells, peeled, deveined, thawed if frozen|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into thin strips|
|Hy-Vee vegetable oil for deep-fat frying|
|1 c.||finely shredded iceberg lettuce|
|1||medium tomato, thinly sliced|
- Prepare Remoulade Sauce recipe. Cover and let stand until serving time.
- Preheat broiler. Brush cut sides of hoagie buns with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler for 1 minute or until golden. Set buns aside.
- For batter, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, beer, water, parsley, salt and cayenne pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. In a 3-quart saucepan or deep-fat fryer, heat 2 inches vegetable oil to 350 degrees. Working in batches, dip shrimp in batter and drop into the hot oil. Fry for 2 minutes or until golden, gently turning to ensure all sides are fried. Drain on paper towels. Dip bell pepper strips into batter and fry for 2 minutes or until golden, turning to ensure all sides are fried. Drain on paper towels.
- To assemble po' boys, spread 1 tablespoon Remoulade Sauce on bottoms of hoagie buns. Divide tomato slices and lettuce among buns; top with fried pepper strips and shrimp. If desired, drizzle with additional remoulade. Serve immediately.
- *Note: If desired, substitute 10 ounces club soda for the beer and water.
- Remoulade Sauce: In a bowl, stir together 1/3 cup Hy-Vee mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons Hy-Vee coarse ground mustard, 2 tablespoons hot chile sauce, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley, 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion, 1 tablespoon capers, 1 teaspoon paprika and 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish.
Hy-Vee Seasons Holiday 2016