Soup, Chili & Stew
Kansas Beer-Braised Pork and Bean Chili
Chef Kelly uses beer-braised pork to give this tasty chili a twist. Country-style ribs from the shoulder region of the pig are especially succulent and perfect for chili.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 ½ lbs. country style pork ribs, deboned and chopped|
|Hy-Vee kosher sea salt, to taste|
|Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee Select olive oil, divided|
|1 large yellow onion, diced|
|2 (12-oz. each) bottles light craft beer, such as Free State's Wheat State Golden, or 3 c. Hy-Vee 33%-less sodium chicken broth|
|1 (32-oz.) pkg. Hy-Vee beef stock|
|1 (28-oz.) can Hy-Vee petite cut diced tomatoes|
|1 (12-oz.) can Hy-Vee tomato paste|
|1 to 3 tbsp pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce|
|5 (15-oz. each) cans Hy-Vee no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed|
|1 (19-oz.) bag Hy-Vee frozen sweet potato fries|
|Mexican crema, or sour cream, for serving|
|Fresh cilantro, finely chopped, for garnish|
Things To Grab
- Dutch oven
- Paper towels
- Season pork with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Working in batches, cook pork until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer pork to a paper-towel lined plate.
- In the same Dutch oven, warm remaining olive oil over medium heat and cook onions 3 minutes or until softened. Add cooked pork and beer; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and simmer 1 hour.
- Add beef stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, chipotle pepper puree and beans; simmer 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare sweet potato fries according to package directions.
- To serve, top chili with Mexican crema, fresh cilantro and serve with a side of sweet potato fries.
530 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 570mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 58g
- Protein: 40g
Vitamin A 50%
Vitamin C 30%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2016.