Banana Cream Tart
Here's an endearing combination of flaky crust, creamy filling and caramelized meringue. A tip Grandma may not have known: Chilling shortening in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes produces a flakier crust.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 ¼ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|½ c. Hy-Vee shortening, chilled|
|3 tbsp. ice water|
|¾ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|2 ½ c. Hy-Vee milk|
|4 Hy-Vee large egg yolks|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter|
|2 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|3 medium bananas, sliced|
|4 Hy-Vee large egg whites, room temperature|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|½ tsp. cream of tartar|
|½ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|*For mile-high meringue, double meringue ingredients and bake 5 to 10 minutes more.|
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- For crust, in a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Cut in cold shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat until all dough is moistened. Form into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface or between two pieces of waxed paper, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Ease pastry into a 10-inch tart pan or 9-inch pie plate. For tart pan, trim pastry even with edge of pan. For pie plate, trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold under extra pastry and flute edge. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden; cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- For filling, in a heavy medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until combined. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Slightly beat egg yolks with a fork. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Add yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.
- For meringue, in a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks form (tips stand straight).
- To assemble tart, arrange banana slices in bottom of baked pastry shell. Pour hot filling over bananas. Spread with meringue, sealing to edge. Bake at 325 degree for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for 3 to 6 hours before serving; cover for longer storage.
450 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 18g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Sodium: 290mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 64g
- Protein: 8g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 6%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2014.