Strawberry Lemon Meringue Pie (Get Cooking)
Servings and Ingredients
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter, softened|
|1 c.||graham cracker crumbs|
|⅓ c.||Hy-Vee sliced almonds|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee sugar, divided|
|½ tsp.||sea salt, divided|
|5 tbsp.||Hy-Vee unsalted butter, melted|
|1||(14 oz) can Hy-Vee sweetened condensed milk|
|⅔ c.||fresh lemon juice (roughly 4 lemons)|
|3||large eggs, divided, at room temperature, 1 yolk reserved for another use|
|1||Hy-Vee large egg, lightly beaten|
|2 c.||sliced strawberries|
|2 tsp.||orange liqueur|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For crust, coat a 9-inch pie plate with softened butter. Pulse graham cracker crumbs, almonds, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in food processor until combined. Add 5 tablespoons butter and pulse until moist and holds together when pressed between 2 fingers. Using a dry measuring cup, press evenly onto bottom and up sides of pie plate. Make sure the sides and rim of the crust are firmly pressed, so they don't crumble when pie is cut. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Bake crust until firm and turning darker around edges, 10 to 11 minutes. Remove from oven, and reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- For filling, in a large bowl whisk condensed milk, lemon juice, 2 egg yolks, 1 whole egg and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour into warm piecrust.
- Bake until center is set, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Sprinkle strawberries with 2 tablespoons sugar and orange liqueur. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heatproof mixing bowl set over a pan of simmering water, heat 3 egg whites and remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to mixer and whisk on high speed until medium peaks form, 8 to 9 minutes. Spoon berries over pie. Spoon meringue over top.
- Place oven rack in lowest position. Broil pie until meringue is just browned. Alternatively, use a kitchen torch to brown the top.
470 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 19g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Sodium: 270mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 69g
- Protein: 9g
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 50%
Chef Andrew from Ankeny #1, KCCI-TV recipe, February 27, 2016.