Soup, Chili & Stew
Meatball Stew with Winter Vegetables
Servings and Ingredients
|1 egg, beaten|
|½ c. fine dry bread crumbs|
|1 tsp. dried minced onions|
|1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce|
|¼ tsp. garlic salt|
|⅛ tsp. pepper|
|1 lbs. lean ground beef or turkey|
|4 ½ c. water|
|2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed|
|2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced|
|1 large onion, cut in wedges|
|2 tbsp. instant beef bouillon|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 ½ tsp. crushed thyme or oregano|
|1 tsp. crushed rosemary or basil|
|½ tsp. pepper|
|2 medium sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)|
|2 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed|
|1 c. frozen peas|
|⅓ c. flour|
|½ c. cold water|
- To make meatballs, combine beaten egg, bread crumbs, minced onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and ground beef. Shape into 30 (1-inch) meatballs. Brown in a skillet. Drain and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, bring 4-1/2 cup water to a boil. Add potatoes, carrots, onions cut in wedges, bouillon, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, parsnips and browned meatballs to the hot broth. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender and meatballs are fully cooked. Stir in frozen peas. Return to a boil.
- Mix together flour and 1/2 cup cold water. Stir into hot broth. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.