Make this granola in a variety of flavors by varying the juice concentrate, flavoring extract and dried fruit. You may also substitute rolled barley flakes, wheat flakes or rye flakes for the oats.
Servings and Ingredients
|3 c. rolled oats|
|1 c. dry textured soy protein|
|¼ c. honey|
|¼ c. frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed|
|½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice*|
|¼ tsp. almond extract|
|½ c. soy nuts|
|½ c. toasted wheat germ|
|1 c. dried fruit (apples, raisins, dates, etc.) cut into raisin-sized bits|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large baking pan or cookie sheet, toast the oats in a 350 degree oven, stirring every 3 minutes, until golden, 9 to 10 minutes.
- In the microwave or a small saucepan, heat the honey and juice concentrate just until the honey liquifies. Pour into a mixing bowl and stir in the pumpkin pie spice and almond extract.
- As soon as the oats are toasted, add them to the honey mixture along with the textured soy protein and soy nuts. Stir quickly to coat everything well. Spread the mixture into the baking pan again and return to the oven for 5 to 6 more minutes, stirring once or twice, until just starting to brown. Watch carefully so that it does not burn.
- Allow the oat mixture to cool in the baking pan. When cool, stir in the wheat germ and dried fruit. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Serve with soy milk, dairy milk or nonfat yogurt.
- For Hot Granola: Simmer 1/2 cup Low-Fat Granola with 1/2 cup soy or dairy milk and 1/2 cup water for 5 to 7 minutes, until desired consistency is reached. Stir frequently while cooking.
- *Substitute 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg for pumpkin pie spice.
215 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 6mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 40g
- Protein: 12g
Iowa Soybean Promotion Board.