Fried Onion Rings
Pair these crispy and delicious fried onion rings with Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery.
Servings and Ingredients
|3||large yellow onions|
|1 tbsp.||bottled hot sauce|
|Hy-Vee vegetable or canola oil, for deep frying|
|3 c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|3 tbsp.||Cajun seasoning|
|Hy-Vee kosher sea salt, to taste|
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place two wire racks on two rimmed baking sheets; set aside.
- Cut onions crosswise into 1/2-in. thick slices; separate into rings. Set large rings aside; reserve small rings for another use.
- Combine buttermilk and hot sauce in a large resealable plastic bag. Add large onion rings to bag. Turn to coat rings. Marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 in. of oil in a deep skillet or 5-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. (If you don't have a deep-fry thermometer, stick a dry bamboo chopstick into the oil; If it takes about 2 seconds for bubbles to rise and encircle the chopstick, the oil is ready.)
- Drain onion rings, reserving marinade in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together flour and Cajun seasoning in a large bowl.
- Toss 3 to 4 onion rings into flour mixture, dip into reserved marinade and toss again into flour mixture. Add to hot oil and fry for 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Use a skimmer to transfer to wire rack on baking sheet. Continue with remaining onion rings, working in batches.
- Sprinkle fried onion rings with salt, to taste. Keep warm in oven for up to 30 minutes before serving.