Dried Cherry Scones
Servings and Ingredients
|3 c.||Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|⅓ c.||Hy-Vee sugar|
|1 tbsp.||baking powder|
|½ tsp.||Hy-Vee baking soda|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|6 tbsp.||Hy-Vee margarine|
|⅔ c.||dried cherries|
|1 c.||boiling water|
|¾ c.||low-fat buttermilk|
|1 tsp.||almond extract|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee sugar|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with Hy-Vee cooking spray.
- Boil 1 cup of water. Soak cherries in water for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in margarine with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir cherries into flour mixture.
- Combine buttermilk, almond extract, egg and one of the egg whites. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough lightly 8 to 10 times with floured hands. Press dough into a 6-inch circle. Cut dough into 8 pie-shaped slices. Place wedges onto baking sheet.
- Beat remaining egg white with a fork until foamy. Brush each wedge with egg white and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.