Lightly grease and preheat a waffle baker according to manufacturer's directions.
Cocoa-rich batter loaded with your favorite chips makes a brownie-like waffle that's impossible to resist. Serve fresh berries and whipping cream on the side for breakfast, or place scoops of vanilla ice cream in the center for dessert.
Servings and Ingredients
|3 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|1 ½ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|½ c. Hy-Vee unsweetened cocoa powder|
|2 tbsp. malted milk powder|
|2 tbsp. white cornmeal|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee baking powder|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee baking soda|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|2 ¼ c. buttermilk|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|⅓ c. Hy-Vee creamy white baking chips, and/or semisweet chocolate chips|
|Hy-Vee unsalted butter, for serving|
|Hy-Vee 100% pure maple syrup, for serving|
Things To Grab
- Hy-Vee nonstick cooking spray
- Hy-Vee waffle baker
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- Large bowl
- Electric mixer
- Wire rack
- Separate eggs; place yolks in a medium bowl and whites in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, malted milk powder, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In bowl with egg yolks, add buttermilk and vanilla. Whisk mixture together to combine well; set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight); set aside.
- Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter will be slightly lumpy). Gently fold beaten whites evenly into mixture. Fold in desired baking chips.
Add batter to preheated waffle baker. Close lid quickly and bake according to manufacturer's directions until waffle is golden brown. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid; keep warm on a wire rack in a 200-degrees oven for up to 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm topped with maple syrup.
Hyvee Culinary Expert TipExtra waffles? Not a problem! Cool leftover waffles to room temperature and place in an airtight container or individual plastic bags for freezing. For a quick breakfast pop extra waffles in the toaster.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Sodium: 570mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 40g
- Protein: 8g