Lightly grease and preheat a waffle baker according to manufacturer's directions.
A refreshing hint of lemon makes this breakfast favorite burst with flavor! Serve with Hy-Vee 100% maple syrup.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 c. blueberry jam|
|½ c. Hy-Vee Select 100% pure maple syrup|
|3 Hy-Vee large eggs|
|2 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour|
|2 tbsp. malted milk powder|
|2 tbsp. white cornmeal|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee baking powder|
|2 tsp. poppy seeds|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee baking soda|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt|
|2 c. buttermilk|
|½ c. lemon Greek yogurt|
|2 tsp. lemon zest|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
|Hy-Vee unsalted butter, for serving|
|Hy-Vee 100% pure maple syrup, for serving|
Things To Grab
- Waffle baker
- Small saucepan
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- Large bowl
- Electric mixer
- Wire rack
- For blueberry syrup, in a small saucepan heat blueberry jam and maple syrup until warm.
- Separate eggs; place yolks in a medium bowl and whites in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, malted milk powder, cornmeal, baking powder, poppy seeds, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In bowl with egg yolks, add buttermilk, yogurt, lemon zest and vanilla. Whisk mixture together to combine well; set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight); set aside.
- Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter will be slightly lumpy). Gently fold beaten whites evenly into mixture.
Add batter to preheated waffle baker. Close lid quickly and bake according to manufacturer's directions until waffle is golden brown. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid; keep warm on a wire rack in a 200°F oven for up to 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm topped with blueberry syrup.
Hyvee Culinary Expert TipExtra waffles? Not a problem! Cool leftover waffles to room temperature and place in an airtight container or individual plastic bags for freezing. For a quick breakfast pop extra waffles in the toaster.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Sodium: 560mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 66g
- Protein: 9g