Chilled Corn and Potato Soup
Servings and Ingredients
|4 ear(s)||fresh corn or 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed|
|1||(32 ounce) carton Hy-Vee chicken broth (4 cups)|
|1||clove garlic, finely chopped|
|4||sprigs fresh dill or 1/2 tsp Hy-Vee dried dillweed|
|1||Hy-Vee bay leaf|
|2||large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups total)|
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter|
|½ c.||chopped onion|
|¼ c.||whipping cream|
|snipped fresh dill and cayenne pepper, for garnish|
- Use a sharp knife to cut the kernels off the corn cobs; set corn aside and reserve corn cobs.
- Combine chicken broth, garlic, dill, bay leaf and corn cobs in a large pot. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add potatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat. Discard corn cobs, dill sprigs (if using) and bay leaf. Strain mixture over a large bowl, reserve broth and potatoes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add corn and onion. Cook about 10 minutes or until onions are very soft. Cool slightly.
- Place half of corn mixture, half of potatoes and all of broth in a blender container. Cover and carefully blend until smooth*. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in whipping cream and reserved corn mixture and potatoes. Cover and chill for several hours or overnight. Sprinkle each serving with snipped dill and cayenne pepper.
- *To safely blend hot liquids, vent the blender lid by removing center piece and cover with a thick wash cloth or dishtowel. Begin blending at low speed and slowly increase speed, if desired. An immersion blender may also be used.
210 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 670mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 34g
- Protein: 4g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 20%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2010.