Melted caramel, chocolate chips and spicy pecans form ooey-gooey richness between fudgy brownie layers. Cinnamon and cayenne kick up the flavor and add a nice amount of heat.
Watch how this recipe comes together on HSTV.com.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 tbsp.||Hy-Vee butter, melted, divided|
|½ tsp.||plus 1/4 tsp Hy-Vee ground cinnamon, divided|
|¼ tsp.||Hy-Vee salt|
|¼ tsp.||cayenne pepper|
|1 c.||Hy-Vee chopped pecans|
|1||(18.25 oz) pkg Hy-Vee German chocolate cake mix|
|½ c.||Hy-Vee butter, melted|
|⅓ c.||plus 1/2 c. Hy-Vee evaporated milk, divided|
|60||Hy-Vee caramels, unwrapped (about 18 oz)|
|⅓ c.||Hy-Vee semi-sweet chocolate chips|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
|2 tbsp.||Hy-Vee cocoa powder|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil; set aside. Line a 9-by-9-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Grease the foil; set pan aside.
- In a medium bowl combine 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir in pecans. Spread pecans on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 1/3 cup evaporated milk and 1/2 cup melted butter. Stir until thoroughly combined for dough-like consistency. Press half of dough in prepared baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine caramels and remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Pour caramel mixture over baked brownie layer in pan; sprinkle chocolate chips and toasted pecans over top. Roll remaining dough between two sheets of parchment paper into a slightly-smaller-than-9-inch square. Place dough on top of caramel layer.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until center is just set. Cool in pan on a wire rack. When thoroughly cooled, cover and refrigerate for 2 or more hours before serving. Just before serving, use foil to lift uncut brownies out of pan. Combine powdered sugar, cocoa powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Sift mixture over brownies. Cut and serve.
- Ahead-of-the-Game Plan: Prep and bake brownies; cover and refrigerate. Day of game remove from pan and dust with powdered sugar mixture.
390 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 19g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 420mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 55g
- Protein: 5g
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 0%
Hy-Vee Seasons Health 2015.