Soup, Chili & Stew
Buddha Broth Bowl
Servings and Ingredients
|1 recipe Marinated Tofu, optional|
|4 ½ c. water, divided|
|1 c. Hy-Vee long grain brown rice|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter|
|½ tsp. Hy-Vee kosher sea salt|
|1 tsp. Hy-Vee vegetable oil|
|3 clove(s) garlic, thinly sliced|
|1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger|
|3 c. Hy-Vee vegetable cooking stock|
|1 tbsp. lemongrass paste or lemon juice|
|1 red serrano pepper, seeded and thinly sliced*|
|Fish sauce, to taste|
|4 baby bok choy, quartered lengthwise**|
|2 c. thinly sliced carrot|
|1 recipe Fried Eggs, optional|
|¼ c. chopped cilantro, for garnish|
|1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds, for garnish|
- If desired, prepare Marinated Tofu.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups water, rice, butter and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 35 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute or until garlic begins to brown. Add broth and remaining 3 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add lemongrass paste, chili pepper, and fish sauce to taste. Remove from heat and add bok choy and carrots; cover and keep warm.
- If desired, prepare Fried Eggs. To serve, divide broth, vegetables and rice among four bowls. If desired, top with tofu and/or eggs. Garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds.
- *NOTE: Chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes. When working with Serrano peppers, wear protective gloves.
- **NOTE: Rinse bok choy thoroughly under cold running water, spreading the stalks apart, to remove any traces of dirt.
- To make Marinated Tofu: Place 8 ounces chopped firm tofu, drained, in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Add 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil and 1/4 cup Hy-Vee soy sauce. Marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour, turning occasionally. Drain tofu, discarding marinade. In a large nonstick skillet, cook tofu over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- To make Fried Eggs: In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon Hy-Vee Select olive oil over medium heat. Break 4 Hy-Vee large eggs into skillet and cook, covered, for 4 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are firm. MAKE-AHEAD DIRECTIONS: Prepare Marinated Tofu, if desired, and cook the rice and broth. Place each in separate containers; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To serve, heat desired amount of each component separately in the microwave before bowl assembly. If desired, add Fried Egg to each bowl.
390 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 16g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 1420mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 49g
- Protein: 11g
Vitamin A 230%
Vitamin C 20%
Hy-Vee Seasons Back to School 2016.