It's a Japanese steakhouse in a bowl. Loaded with a power combo of steak, Asian noodles, fresh veggies and savory broth, this meal is guaranteed to satisfy healthy appetites.
Servings and Ingredients
|1 (12 oz) Hy-Vee Choice Reserve New York strip steak, 1 1/2 inches thick|
|2 tsp. toasted sesame oil, divided|
|3 clove(s) garlic, thinly sliced|
|1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger|
|3 c. Hy-Vee 50%-less sodium beef broth|
|3 c. water|
|2 c. edamame, thawed if frozen|
|1 c. fresh oyster mushrooms|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee light teriyaki sauce|
|1 tbsp. fresh lime juice|
|Hy-Vee kosher sea salt and ground black pepper|
|Wasabi paste, optional|
|1 (14 oz) pkg udon or soba noodles|
|2 c. shredded Swiss chard|
|2 c. shredded red cabbage|
|½ c. chopped green onions, for garnish|
|1 medium radish, thinly sliced, for garnish|
|Freshly cracked Hy-Vee black pepper, to taste|
Things To Grab
- Trim fat from steaks; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute or until garlic begins to brown. Add broth, water, edamame, mushrooms and teriyaki sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, add wasabi paste. Set broth aside and keep warm.
Rub steaks with remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill steaks for 10 to 12 minutes for medium-rare (130 degrees) or 12 to 15 minutes for medium (140 degrees), turning once halfway through. Transfer steaks to a platter and cover loosely with foil; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Prepare noodles according to package directions.
- To serve, thinly slice steak. Divide broth, noodles, chard, cabbage and steak slices among four bowls. If desired, garnish with green onions and radish slices. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Make-Ahead Directions: Prepare broth and steak as directed. Place broth and steak strips in separate containers. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To serve, heat desired amounts of broth and steak in the microwave and prepare remaining recipe as directed.
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 18g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 1210mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 88g
- Protein: 43g
This light-bodied red has an ethereal delicacy that can age for decades. Memorably described as “the iron fist in the velvet glove,” it provides flavors and aromas of tomato leaf, beet root, pale cherry, blackberry, raspberry, cola, and plum. Pair with roasted vegetables, rich fish like salmon, white meat, cured meats, and cheeses like chevre, gouda, and gruyere.