Basil Pasta Salad
Servings and Ingredients
|1 tsp.||Dijon mustard|
|½ c.||roughly chopped basil leaves|
|¼ c.||white wine vinegar|
|¾ c.||olive oil|
|3 c.||uncooked whole grain rotini pasta|
|2 c.||halved cherry tomatoes|
|3 c.||baby spinach|
|2||medium carrots, thinly sliced|
|1||small red onion, thinly sliced|
|1||(10 oz) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed|
|1 can(s)||cannellini beans, drained|
|½ c.||shredded Parmesan cheese, optional|
|1 tsp.||black pepper|
- To make vinaigrette: place the salt, sugar, mustard, shallot and basil in a blender or food processor. Pulse several times to combine. Scrape the sides of the blender down with a spatula. Add vinegar and pulse again.
- Turn the blender on low and take off the cap in the center of the blender's lid. Slowly pour in the olive oil. It may sputter a little out of the open cap, so hold your hand over it to minimize splashing.
- When olive oil is incorporated, turn off blender and scrape sides down one more time. Cover and purée everything for 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside while you prepare pasta.
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- Toss pasta in vinaigrette dressing. Add tomatoes, spinach, carrots, onion, artichokes and beans and cheese (if using); toss. Season with pepper. Use desired amount of dressing and save the rest for salads, beans or to top chicken, fish or pork.
- Store dressing covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. This recipe makes a little more than 1 cup vinaigrette.