Veggie Pot Pie
Bright seasonal root veggies enveloped in a creamy sauce and topped with a flaky, golden crust mingle beautifully with other time-honored dishes.
Servings and Ingredients
|⅔ c. dried porcini mushrooms|
|4 ½ c. Hy-Vee vegetable broth, divided|
|9 c. fresh root vegetables, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, turnips and/or potatoes)|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|1 ½ tsp. Hy-Vee salt, divided|
|½ tsp. lemon pepper seasoning|
|5 thyme sprigs|
|2 ½ c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour, divided|
|⅔ c. Hy-Vee shortening|
|6 or 7 tbsp cold water|
|6 tbsp. Hy-Vee butter|
|1 c. chopped onion|
|4 clove(s) garlic, minced|
|2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary|
|⅓ c. whipping cream|
|1 egg, beaten|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Soak mushrooms in 1/2 cup broth; set aside.
- Toss cut-up vegetables with olive oil. Transfer to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and lemon-pepper seasoning. Place thyme on top.
- Roast for 45 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove and discard thyme sprigs.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl stir together 2 cups flour and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Set aside.
- After vegetables have roasted for 30 minutes, in a large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft; stir in rosemary. Add remaining 1/2 cup flour, stirring constantly to combine well. Add remaining 4 cups broth; cook until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cream. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Drain mushrooms; discard broth. Scatter over roasted vegetables; pour sauce over top.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-by-10-inch rectangle. If desired, cut 1 inch off of a short side for cutouts. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Place pastry over vegetable mixture in dish. Turn under edges of pastry; flute. Brush pastry with some of the egg. If desired, arrange cutouts on top and brush again.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.
490 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 29g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Sodium: 830mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 48g
- Protein: 9g
Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 30%
Hy-Vee Seasons Fall 2014.