Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
For an easy appetizer, spoon the soup in shot glasses and top each one with a grilled cheese crouton.
Servings and Ingredients
|Tomato Basil Soup|
|2 tsp. Hy-Vee Select olive oil|
|¼ c. finely chopped onion|
|1 garlic clove, finely chopped|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee crushed red pepper flakes|
|1 (14.5 oz) can vegetable broth|
|1 (28 oz) can Hy-Vee diced tomatoes, undrained|
|½ c. loosely packed fresh basil, thinly sliced|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee black pepper|
|Grilled Cheese Croutons|
|8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices Hy-Vee Artisan Bakery Settlers bread|
|Hy-Vee butter, softened|
|4 slice(s) Hy-Vee sharp cheddar cheese|
Things To Grab
- To make tomato-basil soup: heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook and stir over medium to medium-low heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a blender, carefully puree the soup in batches. Return soup to pot. Stir in basil and black pepper. Reheat to serving temperature. Serve with Grilled Cheese Croutons.
- To make grilled cheese croutons, place four slices of bread on a cutting board and spread softened butter over tops. Turn the slices over and top each with a cheese slice. Top with remaining bread slices and butter tops.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches and toast until golden brown on each side and cheese is melted. Place on cutting board, allow to rest 1 minute and cut into 1-inch cubes.
320 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 1300mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 40g
- Protein: 13g
Vitamin A 40%
Vitamin C 30%
Hy-Vee weekly ad from the week November 6, 2013.