Sweet Cherry Mini Pies
Bake these flaky stars for a Fourth of July treat. To prep with fresh cherries, add two extra tablespoons of juice to the filling.
Servings and Ingredients
|2 (15 oz each) packages Hy-Vee ready-to-bake 9-inch pie crusts (4 crusts), divided|
|¼ c. Hy-Vee granulated sugar|
|1 tbsp. Hy-Vee cornstarch|
|¼ c. plus 1 to 2 tbsp Hy-Vee cherry juice, divided|
|1 (12 oz) pkg Hy-Vee frozen dark sweet cherries, thawed|
|¼ tsp. Hy-Vee almond extract|
|2 tbsp. Hy-Vee heavy whipping cream|
|2 tbsp. coarse sugar, for sprinkling|
|1 c. Hy-Vee powdered sugar|
- Let crusts stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- For filling, in a small saucepan combine granulated sugar and cornstarch. Add 1/4 cup cherry juice; combine well. Stir in cherries. Cook over high heat until thickened and bubbly. Add almond extract. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Working in batches, unroll one crust on a lightly floured surface. Using a 3-1/2-inch star-shape cookie cutter, cut out 12 stars, rerolling scraps as needed. Place six stars 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Brush edges of stars with water. Place 1 rounded teaspoon filling in center of each star. Top each with another star cutout. Press edges together and seal with a fork. Brush tops with cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Prick top pastry several times.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining pie crusts and filling.
- For glaze, in a small bowl combine powdered sugar and remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons cherry juice until smooth. Drizzle glaze over pastries.
190 Calories per serving
Amounts Per Serving
- Total Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 180mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 28g
- Protein: 1g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 2%
Hy-Vee Seasons Summer 2016.